If you’re looking for the best Kitchen Knives made in the USA, you’ve come to the right place! There are some truly incredible knives currently being made in America and even a few can be found for incredible prices. Until somewhat recently, finding an excellent but affordable knife which was actually made in America was like finding a needle in a haystack. More commonly, consumers bought cheap/economical knives manufactured in Asia which would work fine for a few days, but then rapidly lose their sharpness and be rendered useless only a few weeks later. Once these low-quality knives became dull, they could not be effectively sharpened – regardless of the fact that these sets often included pointless knife sharpeners or steels.
The most reliable sources for quality knives have long been thought to be either Germany or Japan, but the difference in price has been substantial. If you think back to your grandmother’s kitchen, you might recall that she had good knives – which were likely made in the USA and not imported. The reason is that before the modern days of international trade, American blacksmiths forged quality steel into durable knives made to last longer than their owners. Some of the American knife makers are still out there and produce the same quality knives. We searched for knives that are made in the USA and found a large variety to choose from. Many of the greatest American knives made from the best materials have an excellent value for the price as well.
Decent silverware is also made in the United States, though finding quality knives or flatware made in the USA at Wal-Mart or other common stores is not an easy task. So – where to buy quality American made kitchen knives & how to know which are worth the price? Read on to discover our picks – all of which are conveniently available online via the links and photos.
- Our List of the Best Kitchen Knives Made in the USA
- Warther Cutlery
- Case Household Cutlery Knives
- Cutco Corporation
- Lamson & Goodnow Knifes
- Rada Manufacturing Co.
- Virginia Boys Kitchens
- Care Instructions — Hand Wash vs. Dishwasher
Our List of the Best Kitchen Knives Made in the USA
At the age of five, Ernest Warther found his first pocketknife and began carving. Soon he was not happy with knives found in shops and he experimented in making better blades. He eventually found his magic formula while tempering steel blades and not long after that, he made his first kitchen knife. That was in 1902 when he was only 17 years old. Word spread and he received many orders from all over town. In 1932 he quit work and started to make kitchen knives full time.
Ernest’s two sons later joined and the company became E. Warther & Sons knife business in Dover, Ohio. The Warther’s are now in their third and fourth generation of knife makers, all continuing the family business of producing quality kitchen cutlery using the same techniques and fine craftsmanship developed 110 years ago. Warther makes every kitchen knife from CPM® S35VN martensitic stainless steel and tempers the knives to a hardness of Rockwell C 58-60 (HRC). Because they still use hand grinding, it’s possible to polish the blades to a convex grind so the kitchen knives retain a razor-like edge with just a light honing. To ensure stability and balance, each “full tang” blade runs completely through the handle. Layers of birch are used to make the handles and they are riveted on the blades.
Warther Cutlery 7″ French Chef Knife
The Warther Cutlery 7″ French Chef Knife is specially designed with a very thin edge for slicing, chopping and dicing vegetables. This is often considered a favorite knife made in America because it is lighter and more functional than a 9″ knife for many people. The curved blade creates an easy rocking motion and is, of course, handcrafted like all the other Warther knives. Quality CPM S35VN Stainless Steel was used for this knife and it has an overall length of 12″. Please wash this knife only by hand and never put it into a dishwasher!
Warther Cutlery Chef Knife Set
The Warther Cutlery Chef Knife Set is a favorite set which includes the popular and light-weight 7″ Chef Knife from above and is perhaps the best Kitchen Knife Set Made in the USA. Let’s look at the other knives in this set:
- The Warther Cutlery 3″ Paring Knife has just received the Seal of Approval from the Cooking Club of America magazine with a 96% member recommendation. Not bad eh? Warther has been making this knife since 1902 and it is still one of the bestsellers. Take note of the slightly raised hump on the back of the blade which is designed to give you more support in addition to preventing the knife from slipping from your hand. This paring knife is great for general peeling or specific tasks like digging the eyes out of potatoes. The overall length is 6 1/2″.
- The 5″ Sandwich Knife is a wonderful all-purpose knife for the kitchen, commonly used for sandwiches & desserts. It also works wonderfully for slicing fruit & small vegetables. The overall length is 9.5″.
- The 7″ French Chef knife which is described in the section above.
Please wash the knives only by hand and never put them into a dishwasher!
Warther Cutlery Kitchen Essentials
If you already own a Chef Knife and only need the other knives to complete the set, the Warther Cutlery Kitchen Essentials Set is the one for you.
Like the other fine knives from Warther, this set is handcrafted from CPM S35VN Steel.
- 3″ Paring Knife
- 7″ Slicing Knife
- 9″ Carving Knife
- 5″ Sandwich Knife
Case Household Cutlery Knives
Case knives date back all the way to 1889. This is when the four Case brothers began selling handcrafted knives from the back of a wagon in upstate New York. The Case knife factory has been established in Bradford, Pennsylvania since 1905. Case Household Cutlery has made military knives for U.S. servicemen and women from the beginning of World War I. During NASA’s Gemini Mission in 1965, astronauts included special Case knives in their survival packs. All subsequent Gemini and Apollo missions included Case Astronaut Knives, making it the only knife to reach the moon. America!
Case Household Cutlery Knives
The Case Cutlery household kitchen block set is one of the best kitchen knives sets made in the USA which happens to be a set I absolutely love and can personally vouch for. Engineered for quality and durability, these knives will last for many decades as long as you maintain them well enough. Constructed with wooden handles and Tru-Sharp steel, the blades don’t stick to food while slicing. Case Tru-Sharp Surgical Stainless Steel is a high-carbon steel, offering excellent blade strength & corrosion resistance.
The set includes:
- 3-inch paring knife
- 5 1/2-inch tomato slicer
- 6-inch boning knife
- 7-inch santoku
- 8-inch chef’s knife
- 8-inch bread knife
- 9-inch slicing knife
- 10-inch sharpening stick
All knives feature solid walnut handles. This American made kitchen knife set comes with a beautiful hardwood counter-top storage block. Case gives a limited lifetime warranty on all the knives.
Remember to wash these knives by hand as we do not recommend putting them in a dishwasher since it would destroy the natural wooden handles.
Cutco Corporation, formerly Alcas Corporation was founded in 1949 by Alcoa and Case Cutlery to manufacture knives. Cutco is the largest manufacturer of kitchen cutlery in the United States and Canada. The company’s knives are produced in Olean, New York.
Every Cutco product is backed by The Forever Guarantee: “Cutco will sharpen and repair your Cutco knives, for free, forever.” This sounds very good to me! Cutco’s product line includes kitchen knives and utensils, shears, flatware, cookware, and sporting knives. You can easily spot a Cutco knife thanks to its signature Wedge-Lock handle that was introduced in 1952. Some knives come with the Double-D® recessed edge as well.
Cutcos statement: “Made in America” is more than where we manufacture our knives. It’s a deep-rooted commitment to providing American jobs that support families, high-quality American products and exceptional American service.
Cutco 18 Piece Knife Set Homemaker
The amazing Cutco #2018 18 Piece Knife Set Homemaker plus 8 Table Knives with a Cherry Oak Block + Cutting Board and a Sharpener holds 10 must-have cutlery pieces for any kitchen. With 8 Table knives, it stretches its boundaries from the kitchen to the dining room. The knives are all made in the United States of the finest materials. The blades, for example, are made from 440A High-Carbon Stainless Steel while the handles are comprised of highly engineered thermo-resin material that feels very good in the hand.
The knives come with a unique guarantee: lifetime sharpening and lifetime replacement if they break. This comprehensive set of knives will last the rest of your life – with many satisfied owners claiming they’ve used them for decades (some over 50 years!) without any need of sharpening.
Let us see what is in the set:
- 2-3/4″ Paring Knife
- Spatula Spreader
- Turning Fork
- 6-3/4″ Petite Carver
- Butcher Knife
- Carving Fork
- 9″ Carver
- 9-3/4″ Slicer
- 7-5/8″ Petite Chef
- Table Knives
- Medium cutting board.
You can order the Oak block in Honey or Cherry finish. If you ask me – this is easily one of the Best Kitchen Knives Block Sets made in the USA.
Cutco knives do not come cheap but they are well worth the money. Everybody I know with a set seemingly can’t stop talking about how amazing they are. My grandmother got her set in 1952 as a wedding gift. She still uses these knives every day. Some of them were not as sharp anymore so she had them sent to the factory. They came back as sharp as they were on the first day.
Cutco Hardy Slicer
The CUTCO Model 3738 Hardy Slicer is bold enough for all of your heavy jobs. It features Cutco’s famous 6-1/4″ Double-D-edge blade and a full tang, triple rivet construction with high-quality nickel-silver alloy rivets. The Double-D edge provides a clean, smooth cut every time and will stay sharp longer than straight-edge knives. The thermo-resin ergonomic handle will not crack, chip, fade or absorb anything. The ergonomic handle has a universal fit for large or small, left or right hands. The fatigue-resistant design provides a thumb and forefinger lock for more safety and better control of the knife. This set includes some of the most expensive kitchen knives made in the USA, but you get what you pay for! As all Cutco products, this set is made in America by well paid American employees who follow a strict set of quality standards and it is backed by the Cutco guarantee: Cutco will sharpen and repair your Cutco knives, for free, forever!
Lamson & Goodnow Knifes
Lamson & Goodnow is the oldest cutlery manufacturer in the United States, having been established in 1837 in Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts. For nearly two centuries, the name Lamson has been synonymous with some of the finest handcrafted cutlery made in the USA.
In 1869, newly elected U.S. president Ulysses S. Grant received a rather “cutting edge” gift from the small manufacturer. It was a 62-piece dinner set for the nation’s new leader. Pieces of this extraordinary gift remain in the nation’s capital on display at the Smithsonian Institution. The company rapidly became known around the country and the world due to its well-founded reputation for crafting White-House-worthy dining implements. Soon, Lamson had become America’s premier cutler.
From that day until now, Lamson’s talented artisans have handcrafted each piece in western Massachusetts. Due to a disastrous flood in 2011, the base of operations was moved from Shelburne Falls to Westfield but the legacy is still present in Shelburne Falls where an outlet store and select manufacturing exists in the original location.
Lamson Fire Forged 8-inch Chef Knife
The Lamson Fire Forged 8-inch Chef Knife is the workhorse of the kitchen. Its broad blade dices, slices, and chops fruits, vegetables, and meats while protecting knuckles from hitting the cutting board. The blade is forged from the finest high-carbon stainless steel from Solingen, Germany (Grade 4116). The sleek, sturdy handles come in different materials. The pictures show the Acrylic handle of the Fire Series. You can also choose the resin-infused ebony handle (Earth Series) or a natural wood handle (Rosewood Series, Silver Series).
The blades are precision-forged using the traditional hot-drop method which makes it easier to temper them to the perfect hardness, resulting in a harder, sharper blade that is both corrosion resistant and highly elastic. Full tang blades with triple riveted handles ensure the ideal balance and weight. A curved and recessed bolster provides a seamless transition from handle to blade, as well as comfortable thumb support for better control and safety. This knife is backed by the “Sharp for Life” program which offers a lifetime of complimentary professional sharpening on every knife Lamson makes. These features make the Lamson Fire Forged 8″ Chef Knife very possibly “the best knife made in the USA” for many satisfied owners. Those who own the knife as part of the Lamson Earth Forged 10-Piece Block Set detailed below may swear they will never have another block in their kitchen.
Lamson 10 Piece Block Set – Earth Series
The Lamson Earth Forged 10-Piece Block Set is designed to meet the challenges of professional chefs as well as home cooks. No matter what you are up to in the kitchen – now you have the right tools for the job!
Let’s take a look at what knives you get with this set:
- 2.875″ Trimming Paring
- 3.5″ Paring
- 6″ Utility
- 6″ Fillet / Boning
- 7″ Kullenschliff Santoku
- 8″ Bread
- 8″ Chef
- 10″ Slicer
- 10″ Steel.
Yes, there are a total of 9 knives in this 10-piece set as Lamson counts the 9-Slot Block as an individual piece. The blades in this incredible set are precision-forged and made from the finest grade 4116 high-carbon stainless steel from Solingen, Germany. Lamson is using a traditional hot-drop forge process which results in a harder, sharper blade that is highly elastic and corrosion-resistant. The blades are hardened and tempered to the perfect 58° Rockwell hardness. Each knife features full tang blades with triple-riveted handles for the perfect balance and weight. The exceptional balance and safety are due to the curved and recessed bolster which provides a seamless transition from handle to blade while supporting the thumb. We love the look and feel of this set. Notice the square empty extra space at the front of the block? This is where you could easily store a handy set of CUTCO 77 Super Shears.
Lamson Signature Forged Steak Knives
We truly love the 5-inch Fine Edge Lamson Signature Forged Steak Knives!
For these full tang precision forged knives, Lamson uses high-carbon stainless steel from Solingen, Germany. The knives are tempered to 58° HRC on the Rockwell hardness scale and feature convex-ground blades, each at 20° blade angle. Before they are packed, the Lamson knifemakers sharpen, polish and hone each edge by hand one final time. The handles are triple-riveted and made from resin-infused Pakkawood. The recessed bolster helps to balance the blade. A great American Steak Knife!
Rada Manufacturing Co.
Rada Manufacturing was founded in 1948 and is located in Waverly, Iowa where the company has been manufacturing American-made cutlery ever since. Rada cutlery is famously easy to spot in high-end kitchens by the unique solid aluminum handles. For over 7 decades, Rada Knives have been 100% made in the USA and carry a Lifetime Guarantee.
Rada Cutlery S43 Colossal Oak Block Set
The Rada Cutlery Colossal Oak Block Set includes some of the best kitchen knives made in the USA. Each knife features the famous Silver Brushed Aluminum Handles that make Rada products so instantly recognizable. As usual for all quality knives, hand washing & immediate drying is highly encouraged as dishwashers can lead to microscopic dings on the cutting edges.
The set contains:
- The Oak Block
- French Chef
- The”Old Fashioned” Butcher
- Slicer Knife
- Carving Fork
- Utility/Steak Knife
- TheSuper Parer
- Vegetable Peeler
- Regular Paring Knife
Everything you need to prepare the perfect meal for the people you love is included in this set, which is why we often recommend it to anyone interested in buying only the best. For the blades, Rada uses T420 high carbon stainless steel. The hollow ground blade ensures maximum edge retention and is hand sharpened for a razor-sharp edge. The knives come with a finger guard for maximum protection. By choosing this set, you’ll be supporting the American economy while also being sure that your purchase will last for decades to come, thanks to the lifetime guarantee.
Rada Cutlery S38 The Starter Knife Gift Set
Another remarkable offering is this Rada Cutlery Gift Set – very possibly the perfect starter set. The Rada Cutlery S38 Knife Set includes a variety of the 7 most used knives in the kitchen. Everything you need to cook up a great meal is included in this 7 piece knife set. Many have suggested this set as a great housewarming gift – though gifting it to yourself or others for any occasion seems just as good.
What is included in the set:
- First is the Regular Paring knife. It features a 3 ½-inch blade that makes it ideal for a vast range of cutting tasks. This knife will be one of the most used knives in your kitchen.
- Rada’s famous Tomato Slicer is a standout of the set. It has a dual-edged serrated blade that allows for easy, paper-thin cutting of tomatoes without squishing them.
- The Rada Super Parer is a paring knife ideal for when you prefer a larger blade. Its hand-sharpened blade makes cutting foods ranging from fruits to potatoes an absolute breeze.
- Technically not a knife, but the innovative Vegetable Peeler is still a handy tool. It features a dual-edged blade designed for use by both left and right-handed cooks.
- The 6” Bread Knife features no-squish serrations to ensure flawless cuts of your favorite loaves of bread. From banana bread to bagels, you’ll find it works great on any bread.
- The Rada Cook’s Knife features a large blade that’s easy to handle. Do not be fooled, Rada made this knife with the serious home cook in mind. It is big enough for heavy-duty cutting tasks, such as quartering a chicken or dicing vegetables.
- Last but not least, the classic Slicer – a knife Rada has been offering since 1948 which is exceptional in preparing larger fruits and vegetables such as cantaloupe and cabbage. Slicing your favorite holiday meats such as Thanksgiving turkey, succulent pork loin, or decadent prime rib are also easy tasks for this legendary knife.
All handles on the knives in this starter knife set are made from permanently cast silver brushed aluminum with a satin finish. These kitchen knives should not be washed in the dishwasher. Handwashing is recommended.
Rada Cutlery Ultimate Collection
The incredibly priced Rada Cutlery Ultimate collection 15 piece gift set includes some of the few kitchen knives made in the USA that come with black stainless steel resin handles. The resin handles are very comfortable to use and create a “feel good in your hand” balance for superior comfort. Hollow-ground blades ensure a precision concave surface for maximum edge retention and sharpness. The set is actually dishwasher safe but we still recommend washing & immediately drying by hand to avoid dinging the blades.
This ultimate collection contains virtually everything you need to equip your kitchen with the necessary cooking tools and is considered one of the most economical sets of knives made in the USA. The set Includes:
- Granny paring knife
- Regular paring
- Heavy-duty paring
- Vegetable peeler
- Super parer
- A cheese knife
- Knife sharpener
- Serrated Slicer
- Cook’s knife
- 6″ bread knife
- Stubby butcher
- Tomato slicer
- Steak/utility knife
- Cook’s utility knife.
Rada knives are famous for their surgical quality, high carbon stainless steel blades which are super sharp and handcrafted in the USA. The set is also offered with Aluminum Handles as well.
Rada Cutlery Housewarming Knife Gift Set
The Rada Cutlery S02 Housewarming Knife Gift Set could be the perfect present for someone who is having a housewarming. This 3 piece knife gift set includes:
- 1 Regular Paring Knife
- 1 Utility/Steak Knife
- 1 Slicer Knife.
All 3 knives come with ultra-sharp and durable stainless steel blades. There is a knife for almost any task in the kitchen, big or small. The knives come with silver brushed aluminum handles that must be washed by hand. Please, never put these in your dishwasher. Rada’s mission is all about “providing our customers the best value of kitchen knives for their dollar” and this set proves that statement. Like all Rada knives, this set comes with a lifetime guarantee.
Rada Cutlery All-Star Paring Knife Gift Set
The Rada Cutlery All-Star Paring knife gift set is one of the cheapest kitchen knives sets Made in the USA though the quality will still amaze you every time you work with these knives. Included in the All-Star Paring Knife set are: The Granny Paring, Peeling Paring, Regular Paring, Serrated Regular Paring, Heavy Duty Paring, and the Super Parer. More details for each piece below.
The stainless steel blades come in a variety of sizes and will cut through fruits, vegetables, and herbs with ease. The black handles on the paring knives are comprised of a black stainless steel resin that can be washed in the dishwasher. Hand washing fine cutlery is recommended but these handles are dishwasher tolerant. This kitchen knife set makes the perfect gift for graduations, weddings, anniversaries, birthdays, and so much more! The set is available with Silver aluminum handles as well.
Let’s take a closer look at the knives:
- First up is the Granny Paring, the smallest knife produced at Rada. It features a small, reverse-curve blade that makes it ideal for tasks that require finesse. Think of sliced strawberries.
- The Peeling Paring has a small blade that is often used for items that are being held while cut. It is best suited for small or medium tasks such as peeling apples or preparing garnishes.
- Rada’s Regular Paring features a 3 ¼-inch blade ideal for everyday tasks, such as trimming skin from a chicken or dicing an onion.
- The Serrated Paring is similar to the Regular Paring but designed for those who like to cut in a saw-like manner. It’s great at cutting tougher foods such as asparagus, carrots, and rhubarb.
- Then there’s the Heavy Duty Paring, which has a slightly larger handle that provides more leverage when cutting. It works great on larger fruits and vegetables such as cucumbers and potatoes.
- Last and certainly not least is the Super Parer. The compact size and 4-inch blade mean that it is your ideal paring knife when you need to cut a large item such as a whole chicken.
Rada Cutlery The Starter Knife Gift Set Part 2
The Rada Cutlery Starter Knife Gift Set is an extraordinary gift for anyone you know who loves cooking. You will love the quality of these knives and will not regret buying them for yourself or anyone else you want to make happy. This set is Part 2 of Rada’s Starter Knives and includes a Cheese Knife, Granny Paring, Heavy Duty Paring, Utility/Steak, Cook’s Utility, Stubby Butcher and the Serrated Slicer. The thick and comfortable silver brushed aluminum handles create a truly gorgeous knife. The knives are exceptionally stylish, but designed to perform great as well. Like all the other Rada knives, they are made in America. These knives should not be washed in the dishwasher and hand-washing is recommended.
Let us look at the knives in this set:
- There is the unique Cheese Knife that features serrations to get perfect pieces of cheese, as well as a ridge that separates as you slice. From fine brie cheese to Velveeta, this knife is absolutely indispensable for cheese lovers.
- The Granny Paring sounds like – but is not – your grandmother’s knife. The small paring knife is unbeatable when it comes to cutting tasks that require finesse, such as strawberries and apples.
- The Utility/Steak knife is a classic steak knife that you’ll want by your plate at dinnertime. Use it to cut juicy cuts of meat such as steaks or pork chops. The company calls it a Utility/Steak knife because you want it even at the kitchen counter when preparing your favorite meals.
- The Stubby Butcher is a knife that’s great for preparing or slicing just about anything. It features a long, sturdy blade that effortlessly cuts through substantive foods such as ribs or pineapple.
- You need a Heavy Duty Paring Knife that is suitable for a wide range of kitchen tasks. Rada has included a 3 ¼-inch blade in this set that is great for cutting, slicing, and coring vegetables and fruits. However – it does much more than just that, so you’ll love using it for larger foods such as cucumbers and potatoes.
- Last but not least, is the Serrated Slicer. This large knife features serrated edges that make it a breeze to get perfect cuts of any food you can put in its way. The hybrid metal handle (Stainless Steel Resin + Cast Aluminum) assists the 7-inch Surgical Quality T420 High Carbon Stainless Steel blade slice effortlessly through large, tough foods. Rough fruit skins, dense vegetables – even fine meat slices are an easy job for the double-sided edges of this serrated slicer.
That concludes our roundup of amazing knives and knife sets – any of which would make an excellent gift for friends, family, customers, colleagues or anyone else on your list. The starter knives are beautifully boxed and securely locked in place. They are ready to be gift wrapped or you can simply put a bow on the box.
Virginia Boys Kitchens
Virginia Boys Kitchens is the new kid on the blog. Founded in 2014 this small company from Virginia makes Knives, Cutting Boards, and Serving Trays. Their materials are all from the United States. The steel is from a locally run steel mill in Pennsylvania and the wood for the handle is from American walnut wood. Virginia Boys Kitchens use only wood from forests growing at least 2.4x faster than the harvest and mortality rate. This is what is verified sustainable by AHMI. The packaging is made in the US from 100% recycled, 95% post-consumer materials. And all printing is done with vegetable-based inks. So you will not only get a very good knife but you help the US economy and nature.
Virginia Boys Kitchens 8 Inch Chef Knife
The Virginia Boys Kitchens 8 Inch Chef Knife has an almost nordic design. For the blade, they use 420HC high-carbon stainless steel that’s been heat-treated and tempered to a 58 Rockwell hardness. This should ensure that the knife can hold its sharpness for longer. The blade is laser cut from a single piece of steel. After that, each knife is forged and ground to a tapered edge from the spine to the blade.
The full tang knife is completed with a Walnut handle that has two brass rivets.
The blade is only 0.07 inches thick so you can slice with less force compared to blades that are wider.
At the end of our roundup, it’s worth covering a couple of critical issues that are especially valuable when dealing with quality cutlery.
Care Instructions — Hand Wash vs. Dishwasher
If you spend a lot of money on new knives, you want to keep them in good conditional as long as possible. Hand washing all fine cutlery is the preferred method of cleaning because:
- Hand washing prevents unnecessary microscopic dings on the cutting edge of the blades, prolonging the sharpness of your knives.
- If your knife comes with a wooden handle, the dishwasher is a sure way to destroy it. Wood and water don’t get along together for long.
- Phosphate-free dishwashing detergents are better for the world but they still create a harsh environment for metal. That includes stainless steel blades and in particular brushed aluminum handles.
- Dishwashers have evolved to higher temperatures for cleansing and drying over the years – temperatures that are often not compatible with your fine cutlery.
Some owners still choose to use the dishwasher – with varying results depending on detergent, water mineral composition, and the dishwasher itself. The combination of these three factors affects the pace and degree of oxidation experienced. We always wash our knives by hand with hot water and minimal detergent. After that, we dry them quickly and put them back in the knife block or on a magnetic knife holder where it’s even easier to access & display them.
Do you ever scrape your chopped food from the chopping board? Even I made that mistake many times before learning that this will damage the edge of your blade in no time. There is an easy solution though – simply turn your knife around and use the back of the blade to scrape your food! If you do it once you will wonder why you never did it before.
I hope you will find your favorite new Knife made in the USA on this page!